Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A few notes for the new homebrewer

When making a fruit beer I always use frozen fruit. This helps reduce the risk of foreign bacteria getting in and ruining your beer. If you have fresh fruit I would freeze it first before using it. I have also read about boiling it as well, but I have never tried it and since all my fruit beers have come out great this way I don't think I will change a good thing.

When I first started brewing I only had a five gallon carboy so had to use a blow off tube during the first few days of fermentation. I have since bought a 6 and a 6 1/2 gallon carboys making my life a little easier.

I try and buy all my ingredients from morebeer.com. Their product has always been great for me and they have the best customer service of any company I have ever had to deal with. Sometimes when I get the itch to brew and don't want to wait the week to get my products I have bought locally at a few stores. Though I often order extra hops and specialty grains from morebeer and keep them in my freezer to make brewing on the fly a little easier for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment